Please forward this error screen to 69. The airport is served by over twenty major air carrier airlines, four regional airlines, and foot locker white plains galleria air cargo carriers. Three of the regional airlines operate under the banner of mainline air carriers, while a fourth, Silver Airways, is independent and utilizes Tampa International Airport as a hub for its operations.
The airport presently serves 85 non-stop destinations throughout North America, Central America, the Caribbean, and Europe. Tampa Bay is the birthplace of commercial airline service, when pioneer aviator Tony Jannus flew the inaugural flight of the St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line on January 1, 1914, from St. The United States Army Air Corps began negotiating for the use Drew Field in 1939 during the buildup of military forces prior to World War II. In 1940, the City of Tampa leased Drew Field to the U.
Government for 25 years, or until the end of the “National emergency. After World War II, the Army Air Forces vacated the facility and Drew Field was returned to the City of Tampa. Knight Airport and Drew Field reversed roles as the main Tampa airport because Drew Field was greatly expanded by the United States Army Air Forces during the war years. Trans Canada Airlines international flights began in 1950 and Drew Field was renamed Tampa International Airport. The airport’s second terminal opened in 1952 near the intersection of Columbus Drive and West Shore Blvd.
Boston, seven nonstops to Atlanta and 18 within Florida. Idlewild and three to New Orleans. Trans-Eastern had 12 departures and Mackey had two DC-3s, none nonstop beyond Florida. The 1952 terminal was congested as larger jets replaced piston airliners and it was again expanded. During the early 1960s, the aviation authority began planning a replacement terminal in an undeveloped site at the airport. Airside design in 1965 after a study. Hills began in 1968 between the airport’s parallel jet-capable runways.
Prior to its opening on April 15, 1971, 60,000 people toured the new facility during a two-day open house. The airport’s people mover system was the first such system in the world, with the original eight C-100 trains built by Westinghouse. The graphics and signage system designed by Jane Davis Doggett used red for one group of airlines and blue for another. Air Traffic Control Tower opened, the tallest in the United States at the time. Marriott Airport Hotel and its revolving rooftop restaurant opened in December 1973, with triple-paned windows and sound-proof guest rooms. During the following decades, the airport was expanded to handle more traffic and additional airlines. In 1996, Airsides C and D were remodeled.